Friday, May 25, 2007

TV-Free Zone

After talking about it for a long time and having some minor frustrations with Dish Network, Marc finally called and cancelled our TV service on Wednesday (I supported this). We decided to be "TV-free" for a while. We only get the local CBS channel which has clear audio but a really poor picture. I told Marc that I am the one that will struggle the most because I usually sit and relax for a while after the kids go to bed and watch TV. I also, as I am sure no other mother does, sometimes let the kids watch TV some I can get something done. On the other hand, Amazing Race and 24 are over for the season and the kids are just as happy with videos. So, I wonder how this will change my life and I wonder if I will survive. Maybe I will finally finish some of those unfinished projects. I feel a little out of touch already since we have no news...How would no TV change your life?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would die. :) I don't have kids to keep me busy otherwise.

Actually, I'd probably get a lot more done around the house, but with most shows being somewhere on the internet these days, I could probably still catch up on the ones I can't live without.

Heidi said...

I actually could live without. I do now except Tuesday night @ 9pm when Law & Order: SVU comes on. But like your shows, it's now over for the season. Our TV is upstairs in the TV room, but next to Josh's room. With my younger 6, I have control of it. With Josh, he watches it more than I would like him too, but oh, well. We have Dish too, and most channels are blocked, even for him.

Kate said...

I don't think we could do it. The kids would miss it, but not as much as Quinten and I. Especially Quinten... he needs his sports. Good for you guys, though!

Anonymous said...

You are so brave! We have talked about it also, at least for the summer. Let us know how it goes and we might be following suit!

Mel said...

I think this is the craziest thing I've ever heard :) You'll have to tell me how the experiment goes . . .

Taryn said...

No TV!? How will your kids learn about sex and violence?!

Carolyn said...

Hi Kenna,
This is Christopher and Eric's mom, surfing through the Wahlquist Women's blogs this evening. Here's my T.V. comment for you:

My sister, Joanne, and her family did a similar thing. They kept their TV but use it only to watch videos and DVDs. My sister survives like your friend Erin mentions--she watches Lost over the Internet. They also borrow TV series on DVD from the library.

Her young daughter Sarah said one day, "I want to get commercial TV." When Joanne asked why, Sarah responded with a "duh, Mom!" tone of voice: "So I can watch the commercials!"

Anonymous said...

i actually cannot wait until we can ditch the tube! at the end of june our dish contract is up and we have plans to go without at brent and diana's.
i had no tv for 4 or 5 years and only wanted it back when i went on bedrest... i am very ready to be done with it. we have enough movies on video to be fine.
we also missed out on the first 2 seasons of lost and just rented them at the movie store and spent a lazy saturday watching them all (much better without the commercials and the week-long wait in between episodes!)