When the race started Kenna mercilessly ran off with all the fast people and left me running with the mom pushing the double stroller, the Olympic speed walker, and some old guy with bad varus (that's bowlegged) knees. I did ok for the first mile and a half but then the effects of heat stroke started to set in and I had to walk. As I walked by the finish line on my first lap that same body-fatless guy crossed the finish line as the winner in 16:47. He lapped me by one second. Well, I picked up the pace because I knew Kenna would be waiting for me. Sure enough, as I came up on the last turn Kenna was there waiting for me. She offered a drink but I had not the capacity for speech at that point and so I just ran by her. She ran and caught up with me (easily) and said something else my ears heard but my hypoxic brain couldn't process and I just kept on running. Oddly enough, even though I walked about a 1/4 of the course I finished with my second best time of 37 minutes. By the way, we saw the fatless guy do at least two more laps while we recovered from the race. Showoff!!
After the race we stopped at Potbelly sandwich works where I got a sandwich and a boysenberry milkshake. And then on the way home we stopped at the Cone were Kenna and I both had peanut butter milkshakes. That's right, two milkshakes. There was a heat advisory!
Thursday night we took our friends from residency to see the Mormon Tabernacle Choir with the Cincinnati Pops. It was really, really, really good. They sang some very interesting songs in addition to classics like Come, Come Ye Saints. We had a great time.
1 comment:
You kids really know how to keep the love alive!! See you soon, Auntie
Post a Comment