Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Kenna here.

I have mentioned before on the blog that I look forward to school breaks with a bit of excitement (does anyone really like to get up at 6:30 to get the kids ready for school?) and a bit of anxiety (all day is a lot of hours to fill!). On that subject I was recently chatting with a neighbor and she mentioned that her daughter's kindergarten teacher was organizing pen pals for her class. This conversation started to wheels slowly turning in my head.

I thought it might be fun to organize penpals for my kids, after all I had a pen pal when I was little and it was lots of fun.

The pros of my kids having penpals this summer:
  • They can practice writing and spelling.
  • They can practice reading.
  • They can get to know new people (I am hoping some of our Wahlquist/Garlock cousins might be interested! Wouldn't the reunions be so much fun if the kids had been writing for a while?)
  • It would be a sneaky way of helping them not forget everything they learned this year in school.
  • They would get mail and who doesn't love that.

The cons of a penpal:

  • The price of stamps just went up.

So this is my shout out to interested friends and family. Tanner is going to be in second grade next year, Ella will be in first and Sarah will be in preschool. Comment if you are interested or email me at kenna wahlquist (all one word) [at] hotmail {dot} com.

5 comments:

Emilee said...

Olivia would love to write Ella letters, and Mimi could stand to learn some letters before preschool starts. We're in. (We don't happen to be Wahlquist or Garlock cousins, though. If necessary, we could pretend to be.)

Beth said...

Dillon and Kelsey would love to do this. Count them in.

[AnnieR] said...

Ooo! Ooo! Us! Us! Ruby will be in first grade and May will be in preschool! We'd love it!

Kate said...

I'm afraid you may have too many penpals to count... but count us in! Tyson for sure. Sam if you want another one for Ella. Great idea!!

[AnnieR] said...

An idea, which might be more of a hassle but doesn't cost anything--scan the letters and send them via email? That would get around the stamp issue.