Thursday, June 4, 2009

For FREEEEEEE!

A few weeks ago, as it started to warm up in Mason, we decided it was finally time to take our van in to get the AC fixed. It had stopped working last fall but I saw no reason to fix it then, since we wouldn't need it until now. We also had a lovely creaky noise whenever we turned or went over a bump. I was prepared to have them tell me it would cost $1500 to fix the AC (I actually knew someone with the same type of car who paid that to fix the AC!). This would then motivate me to start looking for a new car. Because a caravan may be advertised as a 7 passenger van but it is very difficult when 5 of those passengers are in carseats or boosters! Anyway, it only cost a couple hundred dollars for each of the problems. With labor and parts we ended up spending about $600. Still alot of money, but way better than what I was expecting.

Fast forward two weeks to last weekend. The car suddenly starts making an awful knocking noise (different than the previous creaky noise!) whenever we hit a bump. Those of you from Ohio know that there are a few bumps in the road here! I was a little upset. So we returned it to the mechanic and they drove it and tinkered for a day and a half and finally determined that it was probably the rack and pinion or bushings (translation: expensive). Caravans are famous for having problems with these. But, the mechanic said that a new part just came on the market that they thought might fix our problem. They asked if they could use our car as a sort of experiment/educational experience to see if this new part would work.

The vendor was willing to supply the part for FREE!

The mechanic said they would install it for FREE!

And it worked! Now we have a non-noisy car to drive and it cost us NOTHING(this time)!

5 comments:

Cynthia said...

That is great news!! Car trouble is so stressful and to get a problem figured out for free is fabulous!

Taryn said...

What a bummer... now you don't have an excuse to buy a new car!!!

Mel said...

You must be living right! Who gets free car parts and service? I'm impressed.

The Ziemers said...

Congratulations! I think you just had a "once in a lifetime" with car repair. We take our vehicles in as little as possible.

Heidi said...

Next time I will get use your advice since I am the one that paid the $1500, and it still didn't fix it!! I'm knocking on a lot of wood though... Kristen wrote a letter to Tanner & Ella. She is excited to be penpals. Lindsey colored a picture for Sarah, but I have yet to send it. Actually, I need to go find it...