Friday, September 12, 2008

Adjusting....

I told Marc a week or so ago that sometimes when I drive up to our lovely new home, I feel like an imposter. I think my mind is having a hard time switching from student/resident family to regular working family. I have had some interesting experiences that have made me realize we are not in our cute little neighborhood in Toledo anymore.


On the first day of school, I took Ella out to the bus stop which is right in front of our house. A few minutes later, a woman comes out of the house with two little girls sporting backpacks and a toddler. I am excited about this thinking potential playdates, a mom to chat with, etc. As she approaches I realize she is a few (or perhaps several) years older than me and may have started her family a little later in life. I did not have to wonder for long, though because she quickly introduced herself as Linda.....the nanny.


We have some friends from Toledo that moved here also and live just up the street. They moved in about a month before us so they have been a good resource for where to find things for our new house. I asked her one day about where she had gotten some area rugs in her house. (Let me set the stage a bit here. I had been to Ikea a few days before with Marc and had chosen a lovely maroon rug to go under the table in the kitchen area for $129 and had also bought a very cute red circle rug to go inside the front door that was $299. I had trouble with this second purchase because there were cheaper options and I thought they would be just fine. Ultimately, I really loved the big red dot and decided to splurge and buy it.) So my friend tells me the store that she went to and a little about what they had.


me: so were they a good value?


friend: o my gosh, yes. They were originally $20,000 and we got them for 5.


me: (wanting to ask if she meant hundred or thousand but pretty sure that I knew the answer and trying not to look shocked) wow, I'll have to check that out!



During the second week of school, the kids came home with order forms in their backpacks for a Spirit Wear Sale that the PTO was sponsoring. They have cute T-shirts and sweatshirts for the kids and adults. Attached to this form was a half sheet of paper with a special offer for the women. For $49.99 you could have your very own Mason logo v-neck t-shirt complete with genuine swarovsky (is that even spelled right?) crystal embellishment.

3 comments:

Erin said...

I could bedazzle a t-shirt for you for $10, plus shipping. :) It may not have the official Mason logo on it, but I could find some cool iron on letters!

Cynthia said...

I totally cracked up laughing about the rug only being 5. It was especially funny because I know who you are talking about and that they really thought it was a good deal.

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean! I went to a bookclub last week with some very nice ladies, but after an hour discussion about jewelry, nannies and housekeepers I realized I was way out of my league!