Saturday, September 6, 2008

...I don't know what do you want to do this weekend?

Little did I know the amount of pain that response would trigger. After hearing my utter lack of plans for the weekend Kenna said, "I was driving through town and saw a sign for a 5k this weekend, do you want to run it with me?" I have only gone running once in the last month since we've moved and that was for only a mile around the neighborhood. But because I love my wife and have a hard time saying no to anything she suggests I agreed. I also gave a talk in church last Sunday about being more healthy and felt I should practice what I preach. So, she signed us up and this morning we all got up early to get ready but not early enough because in our rush to get out the door I forgot my ipod shuffle, Ella forgot her tennis shoes, and we forgot the camera. Grandpama Wilson met us there and watched the kids while we raced. Luckily some lady from the local town paper was there snapping pictures after the race and she posted them later.


Kenna and I ran together for the first two miles and we were clearly in the back of the pack of runners. This became more evident when at the two mile marker a walker actually passed us up. At that point I told Kenna that if I was holding her up she could go on ahead. Without much hesitation Kenna then shot out in front of me like a bullet from a gun and left me choking on her dust. I was passed by runners, fat runners, skinny walkers, then fat walkers, lots of people with knee braces on, and invertebrate animals without limbs. But I didn't stop running (I am using a liberal definition of running, maybe it was more like walking bouncily) and I finished the race.

Next time Kenna asks me what I want to do on the weekend you can bet I am going to have an answer ready.

8 comments:

Beth said...

That is so awsome!! Good for you Kenna and Marc. Plus, I love to read tales from a non-runner like myself. Very impressive.

Dehner Family said...

Don't be too hard on yourself... You would have gone much faster with your shuffle. Without music, running is torture. Nice job both of you.

Anonymous said...

What are you trying to do! Wahlquists don't run - Wilsons run! But apparently you again proved that point. Though I do think it is admirable that you keep trying to overcome both nature (genetics) and nurture (upbringing) through the excercise of adult free will, I suggest you try spending next Saturday sitting on the couch watching football. It works really well for me (expecially since your mom is in Utah).

elliotts said...

marc you are hilarious and inspirational. iam going to run, after I finish my icecream.

Charlie T said...

How about sending the lady from the local paper over to your house so we can see pictures of it!

Aaron & Nancy said...

Love the story. Were you passed by any pregnant woman?

Marc said...

I was too out of breath to ask

Kent and Leisy said...

way to go! kenna, you look great!