Saturday, November 3, 2007

Well fed or bad scale?

I took Sarah to the pediatrician last week for her two-year check up. She was happily declared a healthy girl, and found comfort from the torture of two shots in a sucker as we left the office. I was a bit surprised by her height and weight. When she was 18 months, she weighed 24 lbs, 4 oz and was 33 inches tall. Now at two, they tell me she is 33 3/4 inches tall and weighed 29 lbs...which means she gained nearly 5 lbs but only grew 3/4 inch. Now I would think that adding that much weight to her and not really getting taller, would make her fat, which she is not. So, since we came home and I had a chance to think about it, I am sure that the scale was wrong or at least misread by the nurse (which is funny because that is usually what I say when I step on the scale at the doctor's office, too). It's interesting to me too that I don't want my girls anywhere near the 75th percentile (which she now is) in weight but for my son, that's great. The double standard has begun.

7 comments:

dtravelbug said...

That picture absolutely cracks me up -- I can't believe you caught it!

Shelly said...

Maybe it is the height that is off. I know that my doctor has gotten the height wrong a couple of times which makes the weight percentile off.

Anonymous said...

She is adorable no matter what! Sorry about the shots, that is never fun.

Emilee said...

You know--we had the same thing happen with Olivia from her 18-month to her 2-year appointment. I think part of it that they measure 18-month olds laying down (much less accurate, and certainly longer) and 2-year olds standing up. This minimizes the growth for the six months. So Liv's percentile jumped, but was back down again by her 3-year old appointment. I wouldn't worry about it.

Anonymous said...

That picture is hilarious.

Heidi said...

I wouldn't worry about it either. I am probably the only one who never takes their children to their yearly appts, or is never caught up on shots until they start school. I used to be good...really I was! I think this is what 7 kids do to ya!

Picture is cute!

joyful704 said...

we finally got calvin in for his two-yr check up. he gained an entire 1/2 pound since his 18 month. i hope the scales are bad! well, i have to stand on the scale with calvin evey time bc he hates it so much. and please, like i want to be standing on the scale!