Monday, September 3, 2007
Labor Day is for labor
We started our labor day 'holiday' with some good work time at our house. This usually means that any task takes about three times as long and uses at least twice the cleaning supplies as if I just did it myself. But, in an effort to teach my children the value of work, we try to do work time most days. It has in the past made me wonder if my kids are a little weird. Here is why...their favorite thing to help me do is clean the bathroom (this is BY FAR my least favorite job). They will often actually fight over who gets to clean the toilet. At times this has even ended in a struggle over the toilet brush. If they actually got it clean, I might just give them the cleanser and let them go. I guess everybody has their favorite chore. My mom actually enjoys the laundry. On my list, that is right above the bathroom (simply because it is never done). As for me, I am still searching for a household job that I enjoy.
Ella and Sarah went out to help Marc wash the cars and decided it would be helpful for them to wash with soap and water the front door. I was glad that when we were all doing work time together, that I decided not to do the outside of the door. Otherwise, this might have been more irritating....as it was, it was just cute. They were both soapy, wet messes by the time they were done and needed a bath, but they had a great time.

We did save time for a little fun. We decided to go to the zoo and since the zoo is free on Mondays before noon for residents of the county, we decided to go in the afternoon, hoping that the crowds might have thinned out. We were mistaken. The entire teamsters union was there (must be a perk of their union membership...a t-shirt and admission to the zoo) as were the local democratic candidates. It was really hot and really crowded, but it was nice to spend some time together.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
What great way to spend the day as a family. We are all for a little child labor in our house! The girls look like they had a blast and I am sure they loved helping Marc! I hope Tanner has a great first day of school!
Send Tanner and Ella down this way. Bathrooms are at the bottom of my list too.
the laundry at least smells good though, the toilets?! calvin doesn't clean them but he loves to play in them! i can't complain now though bc houskeeping knocks on my door everyday to clean my bathroom!
and we give Nike a hard time for what they do to children
Post a Comment