Sunday, September 16, 2007
Best of the Week
There has been an unexpected (although welcomed and positive) result of Tanner being gone at school all day for the last couple of weeks. When he comes home from school, he has been happy, kind, chatty and is always asking if we can do things as a family. Now, he has always been my child who struggles to play alone and has on countless occassions muttered the words, "Mommy, will you play with me?" He is also very kind-hearted and sensitive. He has not always been willing to involve his sisters in his chosen pasttime. And conversations between he and I have at times been rather one-sided with him always answering, "I don't know." or "I don't remember." I would like to think that this change is the result of my years of fabulous teaching and mothering finally paying dividends, but let's be realistic. He misses us and he appreciates us. It reminds me of leaving home when I was 18 and I couldn't wait to leave my parent's home and get out on my own. It took about a week before I really appreciated my mother for her wonderful home cooked meals and that clean laundry that magically appeared in my drawers. I think that is what has happened here. It has been so fun to see how it has changed his interaction with the whole family...and the other day, at the bus stop, I got a hug from him that I didn't ask for! (Pretty neat, huh? ;) )
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
unpromted hugs are fabulous. i am looking forward to visiting that magical laundry lady!
So sweet! Seriously--it was hard to leave home. We had it good with mom and dad.
Mom and dad had great kids and you know, crazy me"I love doing laundry"
What a good boy! He is such a sweet kid. And I really wished that laundry was still showing up magically in my drawers.
He is such a good kid. It is fun and sad to watch them gain independence but so much better when we are appriciated!
They don't really grow up and leave, do they? How wonderful that he already has such appreciation! Then again, you do have a pretty amazing family!
Post a Comment