Sunday, September 9, 2007

Artsy Saturday

On the recommendation of our friend, Emilee, we packed up the kids after lunch on Saturday and headed down to Bowling Green (about 10 miles south for those of you unfamiliar with NW Ohio!). When we told the kids we were going to an art festival, we got a few moans and groans, and on the way down we heard a lot of, "This is too far, mom....I don't want to go to the feast!" (Tanner couldn't remember that it was a festival and called it a feast all day). I am happy to report that we were all pleasantly surprised. There were TONS of things for the kids to do. These are the only pics that I took but this was a mud painting booth. The kids also decorated masks, made rhythm sticks and made hats out of the biggest coffee filters I have ever seen. They had a great time and even asked if we could go back next year. They told me that this paint is washable and that it will come out of Sarah's shirt, but I am thinking that since her tummy was still blue this morning after her bath, that shirt is a goner.
I have also been wanting to start posting a 'best of the week' every week. We used to do this in YW in Chicago. We would go around and ask each girl in the class what was the best thing that happened that week. Sometimes it is hard to remember one thing that happened during the week, much less the best thing that happened. I thought that by doing this, I might focus more on the good and positive each day than on the negative (I do tend to be a glass-is-half-empty kind of girl). So for this week, this is my best thing. Saturday morning, Tanner slept until after 10 am...guess he was kind of worn out from school. He always gets up and gets dressed before coming out but I happened to go in as he was getting up and reminded him that he could wear whatever he wanted since there was no school. He opened up his shirt drawer and chose this red shirt that he is wearing in the picture above. If you can't read it, it says, "My mom is number one!" He pulled it out and said, "I'm going to wear this shirt today, because you are number one, mom!" And...I think he was serious!

7 comments:

Beth said...

It sounds like you had a lot of fun! You are number one if you are willing to drive four kids to BG - I'm glad they had a blast. I love your idea of a "best of the week" post!

joyful704 said...

what a fun "feast"! tanner's comment would have made my week too!

Taryn said...

I guess Tanner forgave you for making him hold that first day of school sign! Too cute!

Emilee said...

Oh--I'm so glad you went. We didn't see you there, so I didn't know you had gone. The Black Swamp Festival is one of the highlights of our year every year. Did you get to see the magician?

Anonymous said...

The pictures are so cute! Tanner is such a great little boy! I love reading the blogs. Keep them coming.

Kate said...

How fun! I've never heard of that festival. We loved going to BG. Some of our favorite restaurants are there.

Kate said...

Oh, and I LOVE your best of the week idea. I might have to copy you...