I just read one of my local facebook friends said the animals have started to pair up. It may have been raining for 40 days and 40 nights. I mentioned to the kids this morning that maybe we should start building an ark. Sarah's response was, "We don't have any wood." She's right. Should that be part of my emergency preparedness?
Anyway, on to more exciting things.
Our school district runs an after school enrichment program where people from the community come in and teach classes to the kids after school for an hour or so. Tanner has done a couple of Lego classes, chess and 'mad science'. At the beginning of the year, Ella asked if she could do a jump rope class. I agreed quickly. She is not our most active child and she struggles to sleep at night. I thought great, let's get some exercise and maybe make her really tired!
She absolutely loved it. At the end of her 8 weeks of class it was time for tryouts for the Comet Skippers, the jump rope team that the school district sponsors. We went to the parent meeting and even though we weren't sure it was a beast we were willing to tackle we went ahead and let her try out. I wasn't sure what her chances were to make the team, nor how I would handle the disappointment if she didn't, but we decided to let her try.
Tryouts were grueling. It was three consecutive nights for 2 hours and then a Saturday morning. By the time she came home on Friday, her legs were so sore, she asked if she could sit in the whirlpool tub for a while. She worked harder than I have ever seen her and really wanted it.
To my surprise, she made the team! She was so excited. Last night they had a little ceremony to welcome all the new team members and they got to stay for the workout. They don't actually start going to practice regularly until the fall.
I pray it is a good experience for her. It is a demanding thing and I am afraid we may now be one of those 'overscheduled' families! We'll see how it goes.
3 comments:
Wow! I just watched part of the Comet Skippers video, and it looks like it takes an amazing amount of energy and coordination. Great job, Ella!
So excited for Ella! Tell her Aunt Mel says congrats!
Thanks for the tip on the ice cream...peanut butter is my weakness (should I be thanking you?) BTW, I totally remember jumprope team in elementary school. All of my friends were on it. I was one of those "overscheduled" kids and didn't even try out.
Post a Comment