Last time Kenna abandoned us for a few days was when I sent her off to see her sister in Arizona after I finished residency four years ago. That time I went grocery shopping before she left and we never left the house for the 3 days she was gone. This time though I thought if Kenna can run for 13 miles then dog-gone-it I can take all five kids out of the house by myself.
So, Friday night I took them out to Micheals and Target to get some streamers and other celebratory items for when mom got home and then to McDonalds for dinner. Of course, at McDs I left the kids in the car while I went inside to order (our van has the clearance of a boeing 727, it is not getting through a drive-through window).
The next day I herded all the kids into the van and off we went to do the annual "Butterfly Walk for Childhood Cancer." There is a little girl in Ella's class who was diagnosed with leukemia this year so we wanted to participate.

Ella's class decorated a tree along the route.

It was about a mile long walk and Tanner was walking ahead with one of his friends from school. That left Ella to push Mary the whole time, and she did great. The little monkey did well too and walked the whole way without complaining. I was pushing Rylee while trying to take pictures.
The best part was afterwards there was a carnival with all sorts of fun things to do.

There was a giant inflatable slide that Mary wanted to do over and over again.

There was hair painting.
There was a guy with a giant turtle and baby crocodile and this giant yellow python. It took a little while but the girls eventually warmed up to him. Here Ella is cautiously touching his tail and Sarah is flicking her tongue trying to talk to the snake.
To my surprise Ella threw caution to the wind and wanted her picture taken with a snake around her neck.
She then insisted that I do the same.
Mary abstained from any snake interaction and Tanner was off with his friend the whole time.
All in all, a very fun morning.
Then is was off to buy flowers for mom and then home to anxiously await her arrival.
We are so proud of her and we all missed her very much. She can take another trip by herself in just a few short years.




2 comments:
What a fun weekend and good job with the kids. You definitely scored some Dad points. Of course you do realize don't you that since you were so competent while Kenna was gone, she is going to feel much more confident leaving you in charge for such a duration more often.
What cute kids! That walk and carnival sounded like a worthwhile, fun event -- I was with you until I saw the python. Having a snake around my neck goes right after sky-diving on the list of things I really never plan to do.
Post a Comment