Sunday, May 1, 2011

Kids in the kitchen

I love to cook.  I love to read cooking magazines, explore cooking blogs, try new recipes and dream of the day my family will embrace this love of mine, too. 

I don't love planning our family menu, spending 45 minutes making dinner only to have everyone ask for a hot dog, or realizing by the time dinner is cleaned up I have spent two hours in the kitchen!

When I plan our menu before my weekly shopping trip, I often ask what everyone would like to eat only to be met with blank stares and a lot of 'I dunnos'.

So one day it dawned on me, these kids are old enough to help.  I bought a couple of cookbooks that are geared toward the kids and for the past three weeks or so they have planned and prepared one meal each week.  So far it has been great.  I try to be as hands off as possible and let them do it.  Now we just need them to venture beyond breakfast foods!

Tanner and Mary helped make smoothies
 Sarah and Ella made pancakes.
 Ella grated cheese (and not her fingers!)
 I let Tanner try chopping peppers this last week (fingers okay here too).
 Ella spread the pizza sauce.  They all thought handling the pizza dough was pretty gross and for once couldn't wait to wash their hands.

3 comments:

Aaron & Nancy said...

You are a brave woman. I know I should do more of this, but I hate the extra mess! What a good mom!

Heidi said...

My kids love it when I allow them to do "personal pan pizzas" so they CAN get their hands dirty!! I used to be good at meal planning... I need to get back to doing it. Will save so much money!!

Josh has told me many times in his letters home how thankful he is that I taught him to cook. He has told me that he hasn't had to fix Raman at all because he can cook. =)

joyful704 said...

pass along the titles of any good cookbooks!!! i can't wait until they actually eat our dinners and are grateful we didn't feed them hot dogs every night!!