Sunday, October 28, 2007

Look what I did

For some unknown reason, I decided to devote the last week of my life to making a halloween costume for Ella. She wanted to be a fairy and since patterns and costume fabric were on sale at JoAnn's I decided to tackle the project. I am not sure why I felt that a couple of semesters of high school Home Ec were adequate preparation for this but the pattern touted itself as Easy so I felt up to the challenge. I was surprised by a few things.
  • First, that I found it fun.
  • Second, even though I have never sewed an article of clothing, I can do darts and sleeves. I was unable to master the zipper, but as my friend Emilee quickly and kindly showed me, it is MUCH easier with a zipper foot (I blame this error on the ward's machine that I was using as it did not have a zipper foot). Thanks to her wonderful teaching though, I feel prepared to handle it next time (with the proper equipment of course).
  • Third, it was actually cheaper. Pattern: 99 cents, Fabric: about $5 and wings: $3.49.
  • And finally, it actually turned out cute. I can sew clothes, or at least fairy costumes. Maybe I do have one talent!

10 comments:

dockters said...

I'm impressed with your sewing abilities, Kenna! Ella looked darling in her costume. Way to try something new...ever since I got a C- on the boxer shorts I had to sew in jr. high I haven't touched a sewing machine! Maybe one day I'll get the courage again.

dtravelbug said...

Hats off to you, my friend. I have no talent whatsoever in this area. The costume is DARLING, and so "her."

Beth said...

What an adorable costume. You did a wonderful job! Are you taking orders for next year?
I have decided that I am the most comfortable sewing straight lines. Sleeves scare me a little and a zipper would have me running from the pattern!
What a fun project for you and Ella. I have fond memories of my mom sewing our costumes - more so than the actual trick-or-treating!

Anonymous said...

Wow--that turned out great! Nice work.

Kate said...

It's totally cute. Good job! I had to make a king costume for Tyson last year for a preschool thing (basically just a velvet cape with fur lining), and after some frustration with my perfectly good (and practically new) sewing machine, I ended up using a glue gun. Pathetic! I'm so intimidated. I'm so glad for the inspiration you've now given me. Just this morning I came up with this great idea to make a quilt for Christmas, and I think I'm really going to try. At last the machine will be coming out of hibernation.

Anonymous said...

Very nice job! You are a sewer and you didn't even know it. If you ever need to borrow a machine again let me know, mine gets very little use!

Kent and Leisy said...

amazing.really, it looks quite expensive. you have inspired me. maybe one day i'll try something.

Emilee said...

As I told you before, you did a fabulous job! Such a darling costume--so pink and perfect. And the zipper would have been a piece of cake, if you'd only had the right foot. Now you know--just follow the instructions and it usually turns out okay. (Especially with kids' clothes--so forgiving. If you make it in the right color, it's perfect.)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful costume! Never be afraid to try a new thing.
Sewing is more common sense than anything else. If you can read, you can sew.
I learned by watching my mom and by doing it.
Good job!

Julie Sacks said...

I really think that we need a class on sewing for a RS group! I have to say, you know more than me with it already and I "try" to sew all the time, I am way impressed, PS thanks for your concerns for Cohen, he is doing so much better now!