Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Careful what you ask for

For I while I have been super frustrated by the state of my children's bedrooms.  The majority of our toys are in the basement but they each had a few in their rooms.  We have a rule that the kids can't have breakfast until they are dressed, bed made and room picked up, but their rooms always seemed to get messy enough that I would have to help them clean it really well every couple of weeks.  So I had the brilliant idea that we should move all the toys to the basement thinking that if there are not toys in their rooms there can be no mess.

So one Saturday I left to go grocery shopping.  I go on Saturday and fight the crowds because then I can go solo!  I asked Marc before I left to have the kids take ALL their toys down to the basement and told him my plan.  When I came home I was happy to hear that all the toys had been moved to the basement.  When I went down there however, I was no longer happy.  They had all thrown everything in a pile at the bottom of the stairs and called it good.  Here is what it looked like!


Clearly it was time for a good purge, so I decided to tackle it myself while the kids were at school.  That way there would be no, "but mom, I love that toy" from anyone as I tried to throw it away!  It took me more than a week to get it done, but it did get done.  I threw away three big lawn bags of trash and made a big pile for a garage sale.


It has been a few weeks and except for some minor messes the kids have done a good job of keeping it clean.  I think (hope) they are starting to realize that it is more fun to play with toys when all the pieces are together.

1 comment:

Kate said...

It looks so good!! You're basement is so huge. I love it. We'll have to see it in person when we're there! We're coming July 4-21. What's your schedule like?