Sunday, July 26, 2009

So much for a nice relaxing Sunday morning.....

Marc's mom and favorite Aunt came to town Saturday. We spent a lovely evening enjoying some of our favorite Mason cuisine and looked forward to visiting with them more this morning. Just as we finished breakfast, Mary, who has recently learned to climb was left standing on a chair in the kitchen. Sometimes she gets a little bouncy and jumpy. So as she stood on this chair, bouncing and jumping, amazingly, the chair fell. Now this would not be too bad, but the chair happened to be pretty close to Rylee's wheelchair and Mary's chin connected with some part of her chair leaving a nice inch-long bleeding gash. So Marc and I scooped her up, got dressed, left the kids with Diana and Shawn and headed to the ER for some stitches. As we sat waiting for the gel that they applied to numb the area, we noticed that in the fall she also chipped a tooth and somehow bruised her cheek. She hated the papoose board, but quieted down almost as soon as they let me pick her up. Marc approved of the stitches done by the ER doctor, though he did request another one be put in between two that he felt were too far apart. Here is a picture of the wound.
The other kids declared it 'gross' when we changed the bandaid tonight. When we left for the hospital, Ella quickly ran to her room and grabbed one of her high school musical bandaids and gave it to Marc for Mary. So sweet. Here's Mary with her Gabriella bandaid!

All in all, I should be grateful. Falling off a chair and hitting your face on a wheelchair could result in something much worse than 8 stitches and a chipped tooth. We live about 5 minutes from a nearly-new branch of Cincinnati Children's where they were fantastic with Mary. And, this is the first time ever one of our children's has needed stitches (knock on wood!). Thanks Shawn and Diana for taking care of the others so we could both go!

4 comments:

Kate said...

Oh no! Poor little thing.

Erin said...

Poor Mary. Glad she is okay.

Emilee said...

Poor little baby. But is there any wound unsoothed by a Gabriella bandaid?

Anonymous said...

I just have to say, only hearing the thud and cry but not seeing it, I could never testify in court to the true happenings of that morning!!! I just know that Diana and I were so happy to be there so you two could be with your cute little Mary and make sure her beautiful chin was stitched propery and I want to say, from the FAVORITE Auntie, what a fun time I had with you all. I loved your home, your children, your hospitality, my roommate and again, thanks for having us. Mugs and Kenna, You can certainly tell that you love your family!!! Thanks, Favorite Auntie