Today I completed my one and only goal that I made at the beginning of the year. I ran in the Happy Trails 5K. Most runners were concerned about their times but I just wanted to run the whole way and finish. This picture shows me at the one mile mark (I'm the one in gray. No, the other fat bald guy in gray), I was feeling pretty good at that point. That feeling quickly dissipated in the second mile. I was really struggling at the 2 1/2 mark when I came upon a 72 year old female who was still running. It took me 2 1/2 miles to catch up to a 72 year-old woman! Clearly speed was not a priority for me. There is only one hill in Toledo and it was at the end of the race.I intended to raise my arms in victory as I crossed the finish line but I had neither the energy nor voluntary muscle control to accomplish the task. But for all the pain I now have the mental satisfaction of having completed a 5k. That is something that given my genetic makeup I didn't think was possible.
Also, I beat that 72 year-old woman by at least 2 minutes. How ya' like them apples!
7 comments:
wow! I couldn't run that far! Jessica
Congrats!!! You may be the first Wahlquist to accomplish (or, in fact, be interested in accomplishing) such a task! Nice job!
I see that Mary is missing from the list of family goals. What's that about? A child with no ambitions????
Good work! Only June, and your goals are complete. How many people can say that?
That is a massive accomplishment. I ran a 5k a couple of years ago. I was almost last and was beaten by a 6 year old by several minutes.
Nice work on the 5k! We like your method of displaying your family goals. We may need to copy and post our own goals! Myles would have the same goal as Sarah - potty training. We're looking forward to that one.
Mike and Amber
Not such a fan of running but I so admired those that accomplish those 2K's, 5K's, whatever it takes!!! I can't take you in jogging but I'll sure give it a go with 'speed scrabble' at the beach in a couple of weeks. Way to go and I would suggest using a bright red marker to mark out those finished family goals. It just looks finished that way, possibly never to return again. Love you tons, and see you on the sand. Your favorite Auntie!!!
way to go kenna!
Post a Comment