Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Firsts

Today was Sarah's first day back at preschool. She has been excited to for school to start since the bigger kids went back to school a couple of weeks ago. She has a different teacher this year (which I think makes her a little nervous) but the same aide (which she is very happy about!).

( *warning...little soapbox moment coming...does anyone else really hate the practice of putting Miss in front of a person's first name and calling them that? Does putting 'Miss' in front of a first name make it a respectful way for a 4-year-old to address an adult? Couldn't a child just as easily learn to call her teacher Mrs. Jones? It bugs me. It makes me miss All Saints in Toledo with Mrs. Stokes.)
Mary just had to be in all the back to school pictures this year.

The other first for today is that for the first time in a little over 13 years, we have no crib set up in our house. sniff, sniff Mary hasn't used the crib since the bunk bed went up so we (and by we I mean Marc) took it apart and moved to the storage room in the basement. sigh

5 comments:

Kate said...

Sarah is so cute. I want her haircut!

Also, I really really do not like the whole Miss thing. Two of my piano students (the ones who aren't in our ward) call me Miss Kate (not sure WHY!)... and I cringe every time. And yes, it is so strange to me for Paige to call her teacher Miss Gina.... when Mrs. Whiting is really not difficult to say. So glad to know we're in agreement on this. :)

Beth said...

I am totally with you on the whole first name thing. It drives me crazy as well. Also, my older two kids went to a preschool at a church here called All Saints as well. By the way, thanks for sending Ty's swim suit.

Emilee said...

Sarah really does have great hair. And I agree about the first names. Why would we want our kids that informal with their teachers?
My girls have had some teachers with difficult Polish names, so they went by their initial instead, like "Mrs. C." That's a way around a hard last name, and it still preserves respect.

Aaron & Nancy said...

We miss All Saints too! Your girls are growing up! What cute pictures!

Heidi said...

I thought it was just a southern thing. In Bryan or Killeen, I had never heard that. Even Lauren's pre-school teacher in Bryan was Mrs. ?? (mind went blank). But everyone here is Miss ?? Funny story: We went to a very southern ward this summer in Louisiana. The bishopric member, no joke, said Sister June, Mary, Virginia or Brother Charles, Shawn, Mark- called them by their first names!! I almost died laughing!! Even in Relief Society!!