Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Washington DC, Day 2

On the second morning of our trip, Marc got up early and went to grab some tickets to tour the Bureau of Engraving and Printing.  We watched money being printed and learned all about the process so we can duplicate it!  Unfortunately, this tour did not end with any free samples of their product.


Since we were so close, we walked down the road a bit to the Jefferson Memorial.  I couldn't remember that I had ever visited that one even though I spent a couple of summers living in Northern Virginia with my parents.  




I was a little bothered that the concrete just ends with no fence or anything and drops right into the Potomac.  At one point I couldn't find Sarah and thought for sure she had fallen in.


The Martin Luther King Memorial was new since the last time we were there too.


Again we found water to put our feet in.  It felt a little disrespectful at the WWII memorial but everyone else was doing it too.  Good reason, right?  


After having to leave our water at the door at the capital building, we left the hotel empty handed and decided to get lunch at the Museum of Natural History.  That was our most expensive and least impressive meal of the whole week.  I think it was almost $70 for sandwiches and french fries for our family.

The elevator operator at the museum (yes, they actually pay someone to sit in the elevator and push the buttons!) told us that the butterfly house was free on Tuesdays.  I sat in line while Marc walked around with the kids.

I think almost everyone ended up with a butterfly on them at some point.




We made a stop at the American History Museum, pretended to give a very presidential speech and saw Abraham Lincoln's hat.


No comments: