Sunday, December 7, 2008

A Festivus for the Rest-of-us

A couple of weeks ago Kenna decided to throw a seasonal party for the kids and their friends. One of Tanner's good friends is Jewish and so she decided not to call a Christmas party and settled on a winter party with a snowman theme. So, yesterday the 3 cousins came over and 5 other friends from school. And after pulling a few strings and calling in a couple of favors I even got it to snow an inch or two by party time. We started out playing hot potato but we used a penguin and Jimmy Durante's version of frosty the snowman for the music. Then the kids made these decorative glue snowflakes that you can stick to the window.

You can see that Sarah's is a little more interpretive than the others. After that we played snowman bowling with pins that Kenna made out of snowman cups with playdoh smashed to the bottom to weigh them down.

Then they played pin the nose on the snowman. This was the big hit of the party. I would pull that cap over their eyes and spin them around and then the other kids would yell "up" or "down" and help them get the nose in the right spot. You can see that somebody didn't take direction too well.

After frosty got his nose job, we moved on to the frankensteinian task of creating frosty out of spare parts. We used little frosted donuts, peppermint patties, peanut butter cups, pretzel sticks, and mini chocolate chips to create our own frosty the snowman. Surprisingly, I was the only one eating the spare parts.


After they were done making and then devouring their snowman we went down to the basement and played "Frosty says...", because Simon just isn't wintery enough, until their parents showed up. I think most of the kids had lots of fun and played very well together. But not ones to rest on our laurels (whatever those are) Kenna and I are already planning next year's party with another wintertime theme "the runny nose." Look for your invitations in the mail.

4 comments:

Kate said...

What FUN! Kenna is ultra creative. We miss you. Next year, wait until we come to Cincy for Christmas to have the party!!

Cynthia said...

What a creative party! I am impressed you are planning and throwing parties during the busy holiday season!

Anonymous said...

You are the cutest family ever! I miss you guys!

Our Hot Spot said...

Marc and Kenna
Merry Christmas! I found your blog from Charlie and Andreas blog. It is good to see you guys. Everyone looks so big. Congrats on school and the new house. I would love to get the new address because I still have the Toledo one. I am trying to update my labels.
Hope all is well
Jared and Aimee Asay